Monday 1 September 2014

Renfrew Golf Club: A Review

In what I’m hoping will become a regular feature for the blog, I took the opportunity to review a golf course during a friendly round of golf the other day. Hopefully this will give me an incentive, if any were needed, to get out and try some of the golf courses that I’ve never yet played, that I’ve played many moons ago or that I play often.

Renfrew Golf Club is the latter and the object of my first review - of both the course as a whole and my performance.


Golf Course: Renfrew Golf Club

Location: Renfrew, PA4 9EG

Web: www.renfrewgolfclub.net

Holes: 18

Par/SSS: 72/73

Type: Parkland

Yardage: 6818


Location:

Renfrew Golf Club is located on the outskirts of Renfrew on parkland which was once part of the Blythswood Estate. The course is bounded by the Rivers Clyde and Cart and is accessed from the A8 at the Normandy Hotel.

courtesy of Apple maps

Layout:
 
The course is generally flat and as can be seen from the aerial map is well provided with trees. The trees are mature and shots which are off line will be “rewarded” with a tree in the way of the next shot.

Although there are a number of fairways running parallel to each other the mature trees generally mask this fact and provide separation between the holes.


There are approximately 57 bunkers protecting greens, wayward drives and fairway shots. The condition of the bunkers varied during my round presumably due to the effects of the heavy rain we’ve been experiencing lately. Although the course is generally flat the greens are often raised and/or sloped requiring a good skill or a lucky shot to get close to the pin!


Condition:

I was pleased with the condition of the course which was well kept even despite the recent heavy rain. There wasn't too much run on the ball on the fairways and the greens were firm but receptive to well hit shots. The wind was quite strong across the course although this was due to the weather conditions of the day and not necessarily a norm for play.


Overall:


Renfrew is noted as one of the finest inland golf courses in Scotland and has played host to various events throughout the years. The current course was designed in 1970 although the course has been in existence since 1894. Due to this fact, the course is lush, full and gives a good challenge to all comers. The course has a nice variety of holes with everything from the 175 yard, Par 3 10th through to the 557 yard, Par 5 15th. Each hole presents a nice challenge with skill and precision being the main factors for getting yourself a good score on the board. I enjoyed my round very much and I would highly recommend a visit to this club.


My Game:

I have to be honest that I broke the first rule of golf before this round - I didn’t warm up! I know, I know and while circumstances dictated that I had to rush from the car park to the first tee, I still say that there’s no excuse! My body also reminded me the next day of my error!! With just a few practise swings before starting, it took several holes for me to relax and warm up the tired old muscles.

My round wasn't the best I’ve played by any stretch: 35 putts (I may have to retire my 40 year old Ping Answer putter), 9 Greens in regulation and only one birdie. The driver stayed in the bag - the 3 wood was my go-to club off the tee for this day. I missed the distance a little but felt that for this course, accuracy was a much better choice.

On a positive note - I have something to build on for next time but overall this was a mediocre golfing day made up for by good company and a good course.


No comments:

Post a Comment