Tuesday 21 October 2014

GSA Pro: A Review

I visited the local driving range yesterday and took along a gismo from GSA Pro to test with my swing. Well, I do love my gadgets and hardly need an excuse…



The GSA Pro is a tiny device that fits on the grip end of the golf club. When you swing the club it records, and sends to a phone, information about each golf swing.

Sounds like fun.


The objective of the device is to assist you in swing analysis and improvement. I certainly need all the help I can get.

First things first, the GSA Pro fits easily int the grip of the golf club. It is so light and does not, in my opinion, interfere in any way with the swing which is obviously so important.

The app for the phone is free and really easy to set up. I used an iPhone and was completely happy with the interface.


The app itself shows a variety of pieces of information and allows you to choose a best swing for comparison purposes. You can also take a video of your swing for more realistic reviews. Once you have completed a swing the gizmo automatically sends thousands of data points to the GSA Pro phone app which is analysed and presented on the phone screen.

Info includes:

Club head speed

Force applied

Ball speed

Carry distance

Tempo

Back swing and downswing time

Face angle

Swing path


In the above screen shot I have compared my swing with an included pro's swing (the green figures). I found the comparison interesting and it has given me several points to work on including attaining a flatter swing plane.

After many swings I can say that the face angle and swing path statistics are a good representation. and the tempo seems pretty accurate. The ball speed is calculated by an algorithm which takes the speed at the grip end and calculates the resulting ball speed. The carry distance is similarly based on an algorithm based on the club loft and assumes a solid hit from the sweet spot. (For more on this, see our blog on Smash Factor).

I think the ratio of the club head speed to ball speed may be a little high but I don't think this matters as the GSA Pro is a tool for comparison and improvement, not for achieving absolute numbers.

This screen comparison with the pro golfer shows a couple of things.

I have a faster backswing and it is too upright which makes it difficult to get inside on the downswing.

My objective is to flatten the swing and improve tempo.

Overall, I really enjoyed playing with this little gadget and feel that not only are the stats interesting but it actually gives you something to work towards in terms of your swing.

I would rate this device at 9/10 and recommend it to any golfer interested in the stats of their swing.

For more information, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment